The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

A great place for running gear

Please check out this website for great running gear, fitness trackers, and other gadgets at great prices!
https://www.nonamenerd.com/collections/nerds-on-the-run

Monday, May 28, 2007

Quick update


20 miles yesterday with no ill results so I'm feeling pretty good about my training schedule. It roughly follows the 10% rule, keeps me home with my family, and appears to be keeping me injury free so far. Still, its a work in progress so I'm open to suggestions from anyone out there in cyber land. Heck, feel free to post your own schedules or email them to me and I'll post them. I've been tracking my internet traffic and some of my efforts have been paying off as I've gotten at least a few people who have wandered over here from external sources.

Anyway, I'm leaving on Wednesday for a conference in British Columbia and I need to get a paper finished, pack, and do all those other miscellanious things so that's all for today. The next post might be my first international missive!

3 comments:

dht said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dht said...

Interesting stuff. I'm glad to see things are going so well. I've been reading a lot about lower mileage training lately, and I was interested to hear recently that Scott Jurek (winner of Western States, Badwater, and the Spartathlon) only trains around 100 miles per week. This, of course, is less than the 120-140 miles per week that elite marathoners traditionally put in.

I follow a fairly traditional training plan. In my last marathon training cycle, I had a base around 50 miles per week, then ran around 60 miles per week for 8 weeks and 70 miles per week (with a couple 80 mile weeks) for 8 weeks, followed by a 3 week taper. I tried to get in a speed workout (usually a tempo run), medium long run (12-14 miles) and a long run (17-20 miles) every week. Also, I usually ran every day except for taking a day off during fall back weeks every fourth week.

I've been running 60 miles a week to get ready for a 10k, and will probably follow last year's plan again over the summer and fall. The only change for this year is that I've added some easy weight training, mostly core stuff.

Brian Thomas said...

Thanks for the comments! And just to note, dht is much faster than I am so I think that there are benefits from higher mileage if one has the time. Here is a link to some additional information on low mileage ultramarathon training: http://www.ultrunr.com/lo-mile.html

Scott Jurek is cool because he's a vegan too.