The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

My training progress

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Long Run Movie Review

I've decided to try and pick a topic for my postings. I mean, unless I've had a wild adventure like dodging wild geese, you can only read the phrase "ran 8 miles" or whatever.

Besides, I ran 9 miles today. :)

Watched the movie "The Long Run" (2002) today. It's a fictional account of a young woman who is discovered by an old coach who decides to train her for the Comrades, a famous 100k run in South Africa. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it definitely wasn't overly exciting. I mean, if you are spending the afternoon watching a one-year-old and there isn't anything else on I would recommend it. If you like running, you might like it. Frankly, its a very character driven movie--so not really my style. There was some pretty scenery, but even if it would have been a bit cliche, I would have liked more stock elements from the generic sports movie. The characters were okay, but if you are looking for an inspirational running movie, look elsewhere.

2 comments:

dht said...

Hmm . . . I might have to check this out. A similarly middlebrow running movie with a fantastic subject is Endurance, the 1999 Disney biopic about the Ethiopian great Haile Gebrsellasie.

Brian Thomas said...

I'll check it out. I also recommend the documentary about the ultramarathon in Death Valley. I can't think of the name of it right now. Not great, but worth renting.