The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

A great place for running gear

Please check out this website for great running gear, fitness trackers, and other gadgets at great prices!
https://www.nonamenerd.com/collections/nerds-on-the-run

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Long Run Movie Review

I've decided to try and pick a topic for my postings. I mean, unless I've had a wild adventure like dodging wild geese, you can only read the phrase "ran 8 miles" or whatever.

Besides, I ran 9 miles today. :)

Watched the movie "The Long Run" (2002) today. It's a fictional account of a young woman who is discovered by an old coach who decides to train her for the Comrades, a famous 100k run in South Africa. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it definitely wasn't overly exciting. I mean, if you are spending the afternoon watching a one-year-old and there isn't anything else on I would recommend it. If you like running, you might like it. Frankly, its a very character driven movie--so not really my style. There was some pretty scenery, but even if it would have been a bit cliche, I would have liked more stock elements from the generic sports movie. The characters were okay, but if you are looking for an inspirational running movie, look elsewhere.

2 comments:

dht said...

Hmm . . . I might have to check this out. A similarly middlebrow running movie with a fantastic subject is Endurance, the 1999 Disney biopic about the Ethiopian great Haile Gebrsellasie.

Brian Thomas said...

I'll check it out. I also recommend the documentary about the ultramarathon in Death Valley. I can't think of the name of it right now. Not great, but worth renting.