The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

My training progress

Monday, April 23, 2007

Shiawassee

14 miles yesterday. I went running with a colleague yesterday at the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge. We've gone running there a half dozen times in the past year and yesterday the weather couldn't have been better. The area we went to has very well groomed trails and a nice 5 mile loop, which we did twice. There were still a lot of geese hanging out in the area so you sometimes had to watch where you stepped and had a few squak at us, but, hey, its their refuge. I took Casey and Elliott for a little run before going to Shiawassee to get the appropriate mileage. The new shoes were a little soft in the sole for the gravel road section, but I didn't develop any blisters or have any other problems so it wasn't too bad. I might switch back to my Frees next time I run there.

The place was pretty crowded, but it was nice to see so many people out enjoying a walk. Perhaps Elliott will join me there one of these days--especially once the semester is over. Unfortunately Casey, they don't all pets.

Later that night Holli asked me how far I ran so I told her 14 miles. She looked over at me and said, "14 miles? I didn't even drive that far today."

I'd been planning on taking my training runs up to 40 miles, but my colleague, who did a 50 miler a number of years ago, said that he never trained farther than 25 or so. I might go to only 30 or 35 and plateau for a while. We'll see how as it will depend on how the longer mileage feels.

No comments: