The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

A great place for running gear

Please check out this website for great running gear, fitness trackers, and other gadgets at great prices!
https://www.nonamenerd.com/collections/nerds-on-the-run

Monday, July 23, 2007

54 days to go

The countdown clock on my blog seems to be broken. I'm sure that it is going too fast. I was in Meijer the other day and I noticed that they were putting out the back-to-school stuff. I thought about telling the clerks that it was still summer, but I guess they are probably just following orders. What happened to the summer? I'm sure this is just a corporate conspiracy to start the holiday season early.

I digress. Here are my stats for last week:

Total mileage: 40 miles
Long run: 20 miles
Average pace: 10:11 minutes/mile
Average heart rate: 154 beats/minute

With three runs around 20 miles under my belt, I'm feel pretty okay although at the end of my 20 miles yesterday I realized that I will need to run the same distance 1.5 times over again. Yikes. I think the marathon next week will be a good test as it will be over half the 50 mile distance. Didn't I read somewhere that most people can run in a race twice as far as they have run while training?

I'll offer these as inspiration to anyone else out there training for an ultramarathon. First, a quote by Karl King:

When my longest run was 13 miles, a marathon seemed nearly impossible.
When my longest run was 26 miles, 50 miles seemed nearly impossible.
When my longest run was 50 miles, 100 miles seemed nearly impossible.
When my longest run was 100 miles, 50 miles seemed like a nice, long training run.

Second, check out the blog of Kelly, an ultrarunner with Lupus. Seriously, she kicks ass.

3 comments:

dht said...

Congratulations on another strong long run. You're going to crush those trails.

Kelly's got a very impressive ultrarunning resume, and is from the same town where Lauren and I spent our vacation this year. Not surprisingly, there's some phenomenal trail running in wine country.

In other news, you'll be pleased to to know that I've been running in a pair of Saucony shoes: the ProGrid Trigon 5 Ride.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are doing great. I am so excited that you're doing that Carrolton marathon - I've been curious about it since before you guys lived in Saginaw! It will be nice to have drinks provided and people around. I hope it is a lot of fun.

Dave and I both bought the same pair of shoes and didn't know it till we left the store. Maybe that is part of the married people dressing alike thing? They are great shoes.

Brian Thomas said...

That's really funny about the shoes. I'll make sure to post a review of the marathon next week!