The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

A great place for running gear

Please check out this website for great running gear, fitness trackers, and other gadgets at great prices!
https://www.nonamenerd.com/collections/nerds-on-the-run

Saturday, June 9, 2007

98 days to 50 miles

Woah, seriously. I've kept the mileage light this week and will probably skip my long run on Sunday with the goal of getting back on schedule Monday. The knee is way better than last weekend, but I don't want to push my luck. I've also added the use of a foam roller and some strength training to my anti-ITBS repertoire. I think that the foam roller is really helping. For those with similar issues, are some details here. I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods, but they are cheaper at www.zombiertherunner.com if you don't mind waiting for it to ship.

I'd lack to take a minute and thank everyone for there responses to the sunglasses contest. I cast my net wider this time, and have been happy to get such a positive response. In particular, I'd like to thank Dave, Bill, Steve, Sandi, Francis, Phil and Brenda, David, Kris, and Holli, all of whom have made mention of my effort on various blogs and websites. Steve has also said that he will mention in one of the upcoming episodes of Phedippidations, his weekly running podcast. You can listen to it here.

I also got a very supportive email from Kelly Ridgeway, an elite level, Montral-sponsored, ultrarunner. She apparently has Lupus and still does well in ultramarathon. That's pretty bad-ass.

Finally, I IM'd with Scott Sigler yesterday and the T-shirt design is finalized and should be ready very soon. This is the first time he's promoted a charitable effort through his fan base (and they really are a cult like group if any of you have started following his work) and is interested in what the response will be. Scott just signed a movie deal with the company that did "Shaun of the Dead" so its great that he is still putting the time in to help his fans. I don't remember of I have posted this link before, but here is the New York Times article about him that appeared this spring. There are also links to samples of his novels, as well as some other podcasters.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to make sure that I offered a public thanks to everyone so far. We still have a long way to go, although I have some other plans that I am working on. Sociologically, I've been curious as to the nature of social networks that have developed through new technology (i.e. podcasting, the blogosphere, MySpace, 2nd Life, old fashioned listserves) and so far I've been pleasantly surprised at the potential of these social networks in relation to charitable activities. As Holli would say and I would agree, yeah I'm a geek.

No comments: