The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

A great place for running gear

Please check out this website for great running gear, fitness trackers, and other gadgets at great prices!
https://www.nonamenerd.com/collections/nerds-on-the-run

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life on jury duty

Seriously, there is a conspiracy against jury pool W. Some of the other groups have served for only half a day out of the nine days that we have been on jury duty so far. On the other hand, old group W has been here five out of the past nine days. Actually, some of group W has been here even longer, having been selected for two juries so far. I've only served on one jury thus far and spent the rest of the time just waiting around to see if I will be selected.

Let me say this about the jury process. I think that everyone should have to do it once in their life. That being said, I am extraordinarily ambivalent about the jury process. I have been impressed by how well everyone gets along and was glad to be on a diverse jury that was still willing to work together so openly. The bureaucracy of the system has, to be honest, highlighted the reasons why we lecture about bureaucracies in introduction to sociology classes. I'm probably more of a populist as a result of all this. Everyone who served on the jury together yesterday clustered together in one of the small meeting rooms to talk and play cards. It's funny how strangers can bond together under circumstances like this. Technically, I've been excused from duty tomorrow, which is our last day. That means my civic duty will be done with soon. Of course, if I get picked again I must serve until that trial is over...

1 comment:

Sophie - LFA said...

Hi there Brian ...

I am hoping you can help me rally all the "lupus troops."

March 3, 2009 is the Lupus Foundation of America’s 11th Annual Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill. Even if you cannot physically join us on Tuesday, there are still several things you – and your family and friends – can do to help raise awareness about the seriousness of lupus.

To learn all the easy things you can do from the comfort of your home, please go to http://lfa-inc.blogspot.com/2009/02/even-if-you-cannot-be-in-dc-for-lfas.html

To take it a step further, if you're willing to do so, I'd really appreciate it you would consider posting this information (what you find at the link to my blog) on your blog, and letting all your friends and family know how important this is to the lupus community.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at davis@lupus.org.

Thanks for your help.

All the best, Wick