The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

My training progress

Monday, August 18, 2008

Taper, finally

First of all, I would like to congratulate Alyn and Matthew who got married this weekend! It was a great ceremony and I wish you both the best in the future.

I would also like to congratulate Sandi and Andre, who got married earlier this summer, but held a reception for their North American friends and family over the weekend. I'm sure it was a great time and I wish I could have been there.

Okay, now to the running. I did, in fact, follow through with my commitment to get a final 50 mile run in last week. After chickening out of an all-night run on Tuesday night, I headed out the door at 4:00 PM on Wednesday with a goal of testing my race equipment and completing a confidence building 50 mile training run. Just short of 2:00 AM, I walked through the door of my house with the full training run under my belt.

I decided to simulate the race by doing approximately 10 out and back runs near my house. Since the race has aid stations about every 5 miles, I thought that made sense. I decided to keep my liquid/nutrition regime pretty simple with constant Gatorade and alternating between a package of Sharkies and protein energy bars consumed every hour or so. I polished off the regime with a few Starbucks doubleshots. I also took electrolyte caps every 30 minutes to 1 hour. I had some minor bouts of nausea, but nothing severe and I think I may have been eating a little too much as it went away after I stopped eating so much.

Here are some highlights:
-My 3 led headlamp was comfortable and provided ample illumination, even in unlit areas. With my hand held flashlight I should be okay on the trails.
-I set the timer on my watch to go off every 10 minutes so that I could walk one minute (I got this idea off of Dirt Dawg at the North Country Trail Run). After mile 30 or so this turned into two minute walks. I liked this strategy as it meant I didn't have to keep track of how long I had been running and it reminded me to eat and drink regularly. I might start with a 10 run/2 walk pace at the start to keep things slow for the race.
-Running at night is tough, but largely mental. Miles 20-30 seemed to fly by even though it was getting dark. Miles 30-40 were pretty discouraging and the idea of covering 100 miles (or even 50) felt a little far fetched. However, somewhere around mile 43 I reminded myself that my body felt pretty good (albeit with some definite aches and pains) and I was just mentally exhausted. Apparently, I was pretty convincing to myself and cruised through the final miles in a relatively good mood.

Well, planning for the school year is kicking off and I still have projects from the summer to close out. Sounds like a good time to taper off the running and ramp up the work life.

One more thing. I was up until 2:00 AM running last week. If I can do that, you can bring in some more donations! So get going all of you!

1 comment:

dirtdawg50k said...

A hundo attempt solo? you are a beast!