The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

A great place for running gear

Please check out this website for great running gear, fitness trackers, and other gadgets at great prices!
https://www.nonamenerd.com/collections/nerds-on-the-run

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

No running content


This doesn't have to do with running or lupus, but it is cool. I'm currently blogging from my latest gadget. It's an Asus eee 4G. I've had it for a little over 24 hours and it is the coolest thing that I've picked up in a while. I bought it to replace my aging PDA and to help me manage all the various work related projects I have going on. It works way better than I expected. It is about as fast as my 2 year old laptop, with the exception that this little guy boots in about 30 seconds. The screen quality is very good and it has excellent WiFi reception. I've been keeping more and more of my life online from teaching documents to the Google calendar I share with Holli so it is nice to have an easy way to access everything. Weighing in at around 2 pounds, I can take it to meetings and take notes without having to haul out a slow-booting and, at times, socially awkward 15 inch laptop. It has me convinced of what I have long suspected--that Linux is far superior to Windows. The only real downside I've found so far is that the small keyboard takes getting used to.

Anyway, it is too small to serve as a desktop replacement and there are programs I use for research which will keep me inevitably tied to a Windows machine. However, it should allow me to leave my laptop at work most of the time. And, notably, since it only weighs 2 pounds and utilizes solid state memory (i.e. very durable) I'm seriously considering how it would be to start running to the university this summer when I'm only doing research and not teaching.

Note, I have no financial interest in Asus, but I am a gadget geek. :) If I only can figure out how to hook up my Forerunner...

1 comment:

Silvenwolf said...

I think you have ample excuse to acquire one of these... :)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/