The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

A great place for running gear

Please check out this website for great running gear, fitness trackers, and other gadgets at great prices!
https://www.nonamenerd.com/collections/nerds-on-the-run

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Almost summer vacation!

Well, I was on a streak of 3 solid weeks of 35-45 miles each, including two 20-22 mile runs and a few 15+ mile runs. It was a good, and even somewhat adventurous three weeks too! I helped a father and daughter who had car trouble outside of Freeland. I saw a turkey vulture nest from about 50 feet away. Then, a rash of end of the semester meetings, family changes, organizing an Earth Day event for nearly 200 people, a garage sale, and other events conspired to keep me indoors all this week. I like to think of it as an unplanned rest week. That isn't unreasonable either as next week is finals week and then I am out for the summer.

Okay, I have three different research projects going, but I can, more or less, set my own hours, which means getting out on the road will be much easier. Also, since I won't be teaching, I think a running commute is possible with fewer logistic complications (e.g. if I run too slow, I won't have 30 students sitting around wondering where I am). So, I'm really looking forward to classes being over and continuing the streak I was on earlier.

I haven't mentioned this before, but I'm also well on my way to earning a little (and I do mean little) cash for all this running. Our university is sponsoring a program, which rewards employees for healthy activities, including exercising. We get 5 points for every 30 minutes of exercise. If you get 1,000 points by the end of the year you get a $150 gift certificate. Moreover, whoever has the most points at the end of the year, wins $1,000! I'm already at 700 and haven't really put in any heavy training miles yet!

Of course, if you quit smoking you get 500 points just for that... We shall see how the rest of the year goes. Anyway, hopefully I'll have time to blog more once the semester is done.

I would like to congratulate Dave, Lauren, and Yassine who all pulled down some excellent times at Boston. Lauren even appeared in a Columbus newspaper!

Also, congratulations to Toni who completed the London Marathon while raising money for aid dogs. I'm glad to hear that you accomplished your goals running and fundraising!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just came across your blog while searching for some lupus resources, and just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your hard work. I lost my dad to lupus 5 years ago this may, and am currently training for a 200 mile bike ride from Seattle, WA to Portland, OR and raising money for the LFA. Keep up the good work.

Silvenwolf said...

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of that article of Lauren in it, would you?