The world lost an incredible mother, wife, daughter, friend, attorney, underprivileged advocate, and community member suddenly and unexpectedly on October 16, 2013. In honor of my late wife, Holli Wallace, I am training for the Hallucination 100 mile trail run and raising money for the Children's Grief Center of the Great Lakes Bay Region.

A great place for running gear

Please check out this website for great running gear, fitness trackers, and other gadgets at great prices!
https://www.nonamenerd.com/collections/nerds-on-the-run

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Carrollton Marathon

So, I was looking up the races I was planning on doing this summer to make sure they fit into everything else going on in life and decided to do the Carrollton Marathon again. It is a small, but very friendly, race only a few miles from SVSU. I remembered it was in July so I looked up their website to put the exact date into my calendar. As I'm checking out the date and time of the race, I notice that the guy pictured wore the same kind of knee brace I used last year. Gosh, and he carried a water bottle too. Really, it took me about 5 minutes to realize that I'm the one in pictured there. I don't really look like I'm at the top of my game in the photo. That grimace is likely from the iliotibial band inflammation that bothered me so much in 2007 and led to a less than spectacular finishing time at Carrollton last year. No problems yet this year so keep your fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got any good/atypical tips for dealing with persistent IT-Band problems? 'Just staying off it' never really happens, and therefore never really works.

Does the brace make a significant difference? I've also seen a simple rubber strip (kind of like a big LIVESTRONG bracelet) that goes over the kneecap - and I was curious about how effective those might be.

Unknown said...

I so wanted to do that race as part of the DDMC, but alas I will be in Colorado hopefully doing a lot of trail running.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note re: ITB. FiveFingers seem to be my best bet so far, but I haven't done 40+ consistently on them yet. We'll see.

I also lived in Beijing, but just for 1/2 a year back in '99. Have only gone back once since - but we did get to parts of Tibet. Always wanted to go to Lhasa but couldn't. It should be easier now that they have a direct train there, though I wonder if getting the Visa in will be more difficult now. When I tried we needed a separate one from the one used to enter China.

Thanks again - good luck training for the HF100. I'll keep reading.

Anonymous said...

LOL! That's you? You do look a bit laboured there.

But when I think about it, none of the pictures I've seen of great runners ever look wonderful. They always have some sort of "I'm working here" look on their faces.

I'm on Facebook with the email address: lookatmae[at]gmail[dot]com. Search for me--we can be e-friends!

(You can add Nate, too--he's on Facebook--and he's my mate.)